Here’s some improvements to mibbit to handle abuse in light of recent events:
* The dronebl blacklist checking which was added some months ago has been verified, and working. If networks would like mibbit to check against other blocklists, please let me know and I’ll add them in.
* Any KILL messages received from networks are now logged into a new database, including an AbuseReport – details of the IP, nick, server, recent log.
* Anyone on any network, when faced with an abusive user from Mibbit, can now do /ctcp <nick> report <optional_reason>. The client will log an AbuseReport as above, to be dealt with by staff.
* AbuseReports will be handled by mibbit staff, and a decision taken on if the IP should be blocked. Reports will be dealt with as a top priority on Mibbit. If a ban is imposed, it will be instant, and the user will be blocked completely from accessing any Mibbit website – not just the network where the abuse occurred. Note that details about the reporter are logged, and the network, so the abuseReports can’t themselves be abused. We will also check the recent log to determine if the user was indeed abusing / spamming / advertising/etc. We will also be able to see if the KILL was due to some network specific system, such as GHOSTing, in which case, we will simply ignore those. Mibbit does NOT log everything, and will only create a recent log of chat in order to determine if abuse took place or not. This will never be shared with any 3rd party. Your privacy is paramount.
* The mibbit backend now imposes a strict clone limit of 2 when a user connects to non-WEBIRC networks. For WEBIRC networks, the clone limit is dealt with by the ircd directly. This prevents people from opening multiple sessions to mibbit in order to have multiple connections to the same network, with the intent of causing trouble.
These are the first stages of updates to the Mibbit client to battle abuse and misuse of the client, please let me know if there is any feedback on the above. The majority of users are well behaved community players – if you see anyone abusing, using a mibbit client, please do report immediately.
EDIT: The abuse reports never made it into production, and will now be dropped, after concerns about privacy.