Wow! what a year.
Over the past 12 months our infrastructure has grown massively and traffic has more than tripled, we couldn’t have done it without your support.
The widget and main client have broken through 11k concurrent sessions and gone from averaging 3.0bn to over 7.0bn IRC messages per month (yes billion). Mibbit is in 3 data centres across two continents and on more websites than ever before.
This is all thanks to you, you’re among over a million people using our service every month, we’re finishing up strong in 2010 and in case you missed any of the developments this year here’s a summary. Looking forward to delivering more in 2011.
- more IRC networks – over 200 to date
- Twitter in the widget
- New skins and customisation
- Filters and connect images for Premium customers
- Chrome app, desktop notifications
- Downloadable chat-histories
- More languages (Norwegian Russian and more)
- Docs viewer and Maps support
The iPad provided our biggest spike in usage when CNet covered the launch show. From it’s usual 200+ the chat went to over 1,750 in a heartbeat.
To everyone, have a happy and social Christmas holidays and see you in the New Year, keep on Mibbiting. Looking forward to sharing more developments in 2011.
We’ve made a few changes to the Mibbit client, just tweaks here and there to the default settings.
We’ve also made some improvements that should mean the client loads a little quicker for you.
There’s a couple of new features / options for you to play with…
- Tab complete sort – When you use tab to tab complete a nickname, it now defaults to sorting by the last time the nickname said anything on that channel. That means if you’re talking with someone, you should be able to tab complete their name. You can also set the sort to alphabetical in prefs – [Chat Input] -> Tab complete sort
- User defined input menus – The space where we usually have [ smilies | colors | translation etc ] can now hold any user defined menus you’d like to have. To set these up see [Chat Input] -> User Menus. If this is empty, it’ll use the defaults. If you want to setup your own, then add them. If you want to start with the defaults then add some more, click on [load defaults] first. The command can be any usual Mibbit command.
We hope you like these updates. You could for example have a menu item called “Say blurb about mibbit” -> “/say Mibbit is awesome | /say Mibbit is cool! | /say I $? mibbit”
If you’re sort of fond of the old color scheme, click on [prefs] -> skins, and load up the old default skin. You’ll also have to change back the default tab colors as shown in this image:
We should have some more main client updates coming shortly for you. Thanks for using Mibbit!
We are delighted to announce that Mibbit is now available in the Google Chrome Web Store.
Today, Google made the Chrome web store live – making discovering and installing Apps faster and easier than ever before.
If you’re new to it Mibbit is a chat app which connects to IRC. You can keep histories, watch content inline with chat and use Google translate in realtime.
Details of Chrome and the Webstore announcement here.
Recently we’ve added three great new features which make your Mibbit app even more useful;
Get the Mibbit app in the Chrome Web Store here.
We’ve been invited to attend a Google Chrome event tonight in London, starting at 6pm.
At the moment not sure exactly what the announcement will be, but hopefully it’s in the area of the planned Chrome Web Store. Very excited about the news and waiting to bring you more about our efforts in this area too.
Will blog more tonight.
The widget now has two options for how Tab-complete orders nicknames, the new one selects the most recent chatters first then A-Z, handy for busy channels.
To enable set the option under “Chat Input” in the widget manager.
This feature is not available on the main client yet, but it will be coming soon.