- Fixed a bug when no server was specified (Used to connect to irc.mibbit.com)
- You can now specify that new PMs should be blurred (option blurPMs)
- Fixed a few bugs regarding the disappearing cursor on firefox2. Should improve further.
- Implemented /list
- whois and list replies now span the whole chat area – makes more sense really I think. Also channels and links are parsed and rendered.
- Fixed a couple of bugs for IE regarding focusing.
- Guests no longer auto-join #mibbit-guests. There is a link to join the live help channel. This is particularly good news for people linking to a server/channel on mibbit.
- You can now remove /whois and /list replies from the chat output to make things cleaner.
- We have a session limit with synirc.net now.
So the big feature, is /list.
/list is one of those commands that seems like a massive sledge hammer to crack a nut. It’s like asking a webserver for ALL PAGES just so you can find what you’re after.
Anyway, the way it’s implemented in mibbit:
/list on its own returns a list of the 20 most popular channels (most users).
So, a typical session might be:
But that’s gonna be awfully costly you say… Well no, because the good news is, the channel list is cached in mibbit. Not only that, but it’s shared between users.
That means if you do a /list, you most likely will just be getting data from mibbit, and not the irc server.
Channel lists expire after an hour, and then whoever does a /list next, will re-request it from the IRC server.
I think this is a pretty good idea, makes for a very responsive system to find channels. Course I plan other ways to find and share channels, but this is a start