We’ve been doing a lot of “behind the scenes” work on the Mibbit servers, and so I thought I’d let you know some of those improvements.
* We now have failover/loadbalancing for both the widget (http://widget.mibbit.com) and the main client (http://chat.mibbit.com). Please make sure you are using these exact URLs in your bookmarks and widget code.
* We’re starting to roll out automatic geo goodness. This means if you’re in the UK, and load widget.mibbit.com, it’ll probably point you at a UK server, so you get a low latency, speedy response.
* We’ve updated the servers to be able to use more of our externally facing IP addresses, dependent on which IPs work with given IRC networks. Basically this means more connections will be successful. The vast majority of IRC connections succeed from Mibbit, but this improves those rare cases where something isn’t quite right.
* Some code speedups. We’ve done a few things like remove old code, inlined css to improve loading times, etc.
* Websocket fixes. You may have noticed some odd issues with the previous version of the main client, when using a websocket enabled browser. Especially when joining large or multiple channels. These issues have been resolved, and you should not have any issues going forward.
* Unfortunately we had to disable the ‘upload file’ feature within Mibbit, after it was abused heavily by a small minority. We are looking at wether we can bring the feature back, and what we would need to put in place before we do. Please stay tuned for more news on this.
Please do let us know if you have any issues with Mibbit (email@example.com or drop into #help on irc.mibbit.net), and thanks again for using it!